Heading into the New Year, it’s important to have your house scheduled for a look-over and inspection with a proper consultation to ensure that your home’s structural foundation is solid and not cracking, warping, or having any sort of issues or problems. Many people don’t go through this important process every year, but even those who do commonly forget one of the biggest objects on the house: the roof!
It’s vital that you have a roof inspection completed by a certified roofing professional to ensure that you have no issues. There are many problems, concerns, and difficulties that may arise because a roof isn’t completely secured or properly maintained. Some of the more obvious issues that could pop up include: pesky critters getting access into your home, weather patterns such as snow, rain, or extreme heat or humidity entering your home, and many others. It’s important to not only ensure your roofing is up to par, but your structure underneath as well. We’ve compiled what we believe are the top roofing products going forward into 2017 that can really provide the unique look or convenience factor that you desire.
Asphalt Roof Shingles
- While not as customizable as some other types of shingles, asphalt roof shingles are one of the most trusted, reliable pieces of roofing material available, and for good reason. They require very little to no routine/yearly maintenance, are considerably less expensive than most other roofing shingles, and they look amazing on the majority of homes, no matter the color/design.
- With the right brand of asphalt roof shingles, you can have a wonderful roof design that lasts more than 20 years. It is important to have your roofing company come to install your roof during average weather conditions. If a roof is installed during a day with too much heat, or too much chilliness in the air, you can incur damage and warping after installation.
- The last, best thing about asphalt roof shingles is they can be recycled! We ordered an entirely new roof design using our favorite Atlanta roofing company, KTM Roofing, and they were able to bring all of our old asphalt shingles to the recycling center after completing our roof. I’m all about giving back to the environment through reducing, reusing, and recycling.
- These awesome innovative products were designed to help you during the worst season of the year, gutter cleaning season. The hassle and dangers of climbing up to your roof and clearing out your gutters can be completely avoided with a simple installation of a gutter guard. These covers are simple and basic: they are designed to prevent various debris such as leaves, tree needles, trash, and other such items from getting clogged into your gutters and rain drains. Most of the time, these gutter guards are attached to the very front edge of the gutter.
- These products are generally extremely durable and long-lasting, and can be installed fairly quickly by an experienced roofer. When installed correctly and functioning properly, pretty much all leaves and other debris will go right off your roof, instead of into your gutter for you to clear out later.
Wood Shake Shingles
- With more and more people looking into home renovations and redecorations, I can see wood shake shingles being one of the top roofing products going into 2017. These shingles are completely unique, and just like a snowflake, no two houses will ever have the same design. The wood shingles are all-natural, and provide an extremely attractive look for your home. They are also more insulating than traditional asphalt shingles, which can help reduce your utility costs throughout the years.
- With the proper maintenance and various types of shingle coating, wood shake roofs can last over 30 years! They very durable, and wind resistant. In addition to their longevity and durability, wood shingles are extremely environmentally friendly and are biodegradable, so they don’t end up in a landfill somewhere adding to the trash pile.
Now that you know what we believe the top roofing products of 2017 will be, jump on the bandwagon before the prices increase! These products each have their own unique benefits, appearances, and uses, and should be researched and planned for accordingly. If you think wood shake roofing would look great on your home, ask for a consultation! In regards to gutter guards, have you ever heard of a neighbor, friend, or family member who actually enjoys cleaning out gutters? That’s what I thought.
With all this new roofing knowledge, I hope you go into 2017 with a great, home-renovation ready mindset that can allow you to make the best decisions for both your family and your home!
-Sarah NelsonRead More